79 people feared dead in London high-rise fire

Postado Junho 20, 2017

And, according to some local residents there were some 500 residents at the Grenfell Tower when the fire broke out on Wednesday morning, and they say that not many could escape because the blaze engulfed the entire building rapidly.

At least 58 people, who are missing following the recent fire disaster in residential Grenfell Tower block in west London, are presumed dead, British police said Saturday.

"We have colleagues in there as we speak, searching for and recovering those that have died".

An appeal was launched for information on people who could have been visiting the tower at the time but have not yet been reported missing by friends of relatives.

And after taking heavy criticism, she came back Friday and was faced with angry crowds shouting at her.

Public anger was mounting as residents and neighbors demanded answers for how the blaze spread so quickly amid reports that contractors installed a cheaper, less flame-resistant type of exterior paneling in a renovation of Grenfell Tower that ended in May 2016. It said there is an overarching requirement that all works should be carried out using "proper materials. which are fit for the use for which they are intended and for the conditions in which they are to be used" to ensure compliance.

"After a turbulent three months which has seen Britain hit by three deadly Islamist militant attacks and now the tower blaze, Queen Elizabeth said the mood was deeply sombre but that the British people were resolute in the face of adversity".

He also praised the local community's response to the disaster and the "incredible" emergency crews who battled to save lives. They also expressed anger that the prime minister did not meet with survivors or victims of the fire when she initially visited the neighborhood following the tragedy.

A handout image, supplied by the London Metropolitan Police Service, shows an interior view of a fire damaged flat in Grenfell Tower.

"That's why she totally accepted that it (the government response) hadn't been good enough".

He said: "I'm positive because I think it was a real chance for local residents, people affected by this tragedy, to voice their concerns directly to the Prime Minister so that she could hear them".

"Everyone affected by this tragedy needs reassurance that the government is there for them at this bad time-and that is what I am determined to provide", she said.

Mirna Suleiman, 26, a family friend of the first named victim, Mohammad Alhajali, claimed she and members of his family were told by the designated casualty line that there was no such list of missing people - even a day and a half after the fire had taken place.

He told ITV's Peston on Sunday: "Occupy it, compulsory purchase it, requisition it - there's a lot of things you can do".

A second protest began later at Britain's Home Office, which oversees fire prevention and policing nationally.

Speaking outside Scotland Yard, police commander Stuart Cundy said only five victims have so far been identified as officers deal with an aftermath like no other. The investigation will identify any criminal offence that has been committed. The investigation will include areas such as the construction, renovation and maintenance of the building and fire safety procedures, he said. He said the figures may still change.

"When the truth comes out about this tragedy, we may find that there is blood on the hands of a number of organizations", Lammy said.

The death toll was first given as 12 before being revised up to 17, then 30, then 58.