Aussie tourists duped into eating dog meat in Bali

Postado Junho 20, 2017

An extremely disturbing investigation has found Australian tourists are being fed dog meat by vendors who are masquerading the meat as chicken in Bali.

Dog meat consumption, while controversial, is legal in Indonesia but the probe by Australia's largest animal protection agency uncovered "horrifying" animal abuse and "major" food safety problems.

Evidence provided to the ABC's 7.30 report claims the dogs are brutally caught and then butchered not far from the beaches on one of Australia and NZ's favourite holiday islands.

But White said it is illegal to kill animals cruelly or to consume meat tainted with poison.

The Bali Animal Welfare Association, an organization working to rescue the animals from dog traders, has discovered 70 restaurants serving dog meat. That is a statement of fact.

Animals Australia, the animal advocate group, obtained footage that allegedly showed people being sold "chicken" satay or kebabs, when it was really made from dog meat.

However, the man tells them it isn't dog and they eat the meat. "The actual risk depends upon how much poison is in the dog meat".

A vendor is filmed admitting he is selling dog meat, but is later heard telling tourists the meat is "not dog".

"Dog meat is essentially filtering into the tourist food chain", White said. Some of the dogs, however, are slayed on the streets, which means tourists are eating food that has not been prepared in a clean environment.

The popular street food stalls have the letters "RW" written on them, which indicate dog meat is being sold, but Ms White said most tourists had no idea what this meant.

"It was incredibly sad to see the bewildered faces of children as their village dogs were brutally caught by dog meat gangs", White said.

"Cyanide is not going to be destroyed by cooking", Doctor Andrew Dawson told ABC's 7:30. "Year on year, seven times more dogs are slaughtered in Bali than in China's notorious Yulin Dog Eating Festival". "So there will be cyanide throughout the dog's body", said Dawson.

The clinical toxicologist said concentrations of cyanide in the flesh of the dog commonly used in a satay stick could result in minor symptoms such as "feeling nauseated, diarrhoea, aches in the muscles and shortness of breath".

When an Animals Australia investigator approached the vendor just moments later asking what he was selling, he replied: 'Dog satay'.

According to ABC, while some local people think dog meat is healthy, the practice isn't a long-held tradition. "We are not allowed to eat dog meat in Bali".