Afghan forces recapture Nawa district from Taliban in Helmand

Postado Julho 17, 2017

In a report released Monday, U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein called the numbers "horrifying", adding that they "can never fully convey the sheer human suffering of the people of Afghanistan". More women and children were also among the dead this year.

Helmand is among the relatively volatile provinces in southern Afghanistan where the Taliban insurgents are actively operating in its various districts and often carry out insurgency activities. It said 434 civilians were killed during military operations against insurgents.

A large-scale operation to retake Helmand's Nawa district began early on July 15 with Afghan troops moving in from three different directions as global forces provided air support, Omar Zowak, the provincial governor's spokesman said. He says more than 50 Taliban fighters were killed and five security forces were wounded.

There are no reports regarding the casualties during the clashes so far with the Taliban group yet to comment regarding the fall of the district.

Omar Zowak, the provincial governor's spokesman, said the operation kicked off on Saturday morning and that troops are moving in from three different directions.