Geoffrey Rush sues newspaper over 'spurious' claims

Postado Dezembro 08, 2017

Academy award-winning actor Geoffrey Rush today filed defamation proceedings against a News Corp newspaper in Australia over a story claiming he engaged in "inappropriate behaviour" at a Sydney theatre.

Rush has denied the allegations, which date back to a Sydney Theatre Performance of King Lear from 2015, via statement through Pullen.

The Sydney Theatre Company confirmed it had received a complaint alleging misconduct that continued for several months during the play's run.

"This has created irreparable damage to my reputation, has been extremely hurtful to my wife and daughter and my son and to my extended family, as well as my colleagues in the film, television and theatre industry".

The allegations have come after a string of high profile sexual abuse complaints against entertainment industry heavyweights such as Harvey Weinstien, Kevin Spacey and Matt Lauer.

The Daily Telegraph's editor Chris Dore said they would defend themselves in court over the matter.

"This is an action against only the Daily Telegraph", he said.

The situation is intolerable and I must now seek vindication of my good name through the courts.

Geoffrey Rush addressed media in Melbourne on Friday.

Last week, Rush voluntarily stepped down as president of the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television until the matter is resolved.

A company spokesperson said the complainant requested the allegation be dealt with confidentially, and did not want Rush notified or involved in any investigation.

"Further, he has not been informed by them of the nature of the complaint and what it involves".

Rush said in a statement to The Associated Press he was stepping down "effective immediately and until these issues have been resolved".

Rush also won an Emmy, a BAFTA and a Golden Globe for the role.