Doctors warn parents about unsafe new 'Tide Pod challenge'

Postado Janeiro 12, 2018

A freakish new trend dubbed the "Tide Pod Challenge" is gaining popularity among teens on social media - and doctors say it could land them in the emergency room. But that doesn't mean teens are safe.

Online users joke about how "tasty" the pods look.in some cases, even calling them the "forbidden fruit".

The Tide Pod Challenge requires participants to upload a video of themselves eating Tide Pods, which are small pods that contain laundry detergent.

In 2017, poison control centers received reports of more than 10,500 exposures to highly concentrated packed of laundry detergent by children 5 and younger, according to the. Although it has been an ongoing concern in recent years that these colorful and squishy Tide Pods may catch the eyes of young children, the older set is now willingly ingesting these packets of hazardous chemicals - and that's a huge problem.

P&G replaced the original clear packaging with more opaque and harder-to open child-proof packages.

Even with the changes, laundry pods should be kept away from children.

Tide issued a statement following news of the highly unsafe challenge sweeping the internet: "Our laundry packs are a highly concentrated detergent meant to clean clothes ..."

We have been consistently proactive in providing consumers with the right usage guidance and tools to enable them to use the product safely.

Laundry pods are a $1.3 billion annual business that grew more than 12 percent previous year as measured by Nielsen data that excludes online sales and some club stores.

What to do if your child or teen eats one. You can also text "POISON" to 797979 to save the number in your phone.

However, while the teenagers may think the whole thing is a massive joke, experts have previously been warned about how harmful it can be to consume the pods.

If exposure to the skin or clothing occurs, remove contaminated clothing and rinse skin well with water.

If you ever ingest a substance you're not sure about, call the Indiana Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222. Know what to do before unintended exposure happens.