Government, citing ruling, again will accept requests for DACA protection

Postado Janeiro 14, 2018

Under a federal court order, the federal government announced Saturday night that it has resumed accepting renewal requests for the DACA program.

The federal agency posted a statement to its website announcing the resumption of applications for DACA renewals.

USCIS officials said the program will be operated as it was before it was rescinded on September 5, 2017 by the Trump administration. No new applications will be accepted. "Catholic Charities will resume our weekly DACA renewal clinics and will continue our unconditional support of the DACA community".

Mirka Dominguez Salinas, a DACA recipient, says she worries the federal order is only temporary. That's even though a federal judge ordered the Trump administration to restart the program that it canceled previous year.

Wednesday, the president criticized the judge's decision on Twitter.

Donna Salcido, immigration services coordinator for InterServ, said there are about 15 St. Joseph residents she sees who are affected by the DACA ruling. The program protected young undocumented immigrants who came to the USA as children from deportation.

Trump's decision on DACA in September set an October 5 deadline for renewal applications, which would give recipients an another two years of legal residency in the United States. As of the end of March, more than 200,000 people had been initially approved for the program, meaning they could legally work and were protected from deportation. The agency will not be accepting new applications from immigrants who may have been eligible for the program, but never applied.

Alsup said he thought racism could be the reason for President Donald Trump's plan to rescind protection from deportation to young undocumented immigrants, Bloomberg reported.

Salinas she can't take a permanent teaching position because her work permit would expire in the middle of next year.