A three-member bench, headed by Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar issued the warrants against the former envoy for violating the oath.
DG FIA Bashir Memon assured the court that he would take all necessary steps to ensure that Hussain Haqqani was brought back to Pakistan.
Furthermore, he said that the FIA had approached Interpol and formally asked them to issue a red warrant. "Interpol has received our request for the red warrant".
Subsequently, a committee had been constituted to take up the issue with the relevant authorities in the United States, Waqar said, adding that it had done so.
Earlier, SC on February 2, constituted a three-member bench to resume the hearing of the controversial Memogate case involving former ambassador to the US Hussain Haqqani from February 8.
Moreover, the apex court had directed secretaries of the interior and foreign ministers, as well as the FIA chief, to furnish a report on Haqqani's return in one week.
Haqqani, on the other hand, on Wednesday gave clear instructions to his counsel to withdraw from all future Supreme Court (SC) hearings in connection with the Memogate case, saying, "The judiciary holds no relevance in the eyes of the world as it was at its lowest ebb". On January 3, 2013, Haqqani left Pakistan with the commitment to come back on a four-day notice and the court had allowed him to go overseas.
In response, the apex court issued an arrest warrant for Haqqani.
In December a year ago, three people had separately lodged FIRs against Hussain Haqqani in two police stations of Kohat for delivering hate speeches and writing books and articles against the armed forces and the "sovereignty of Pakistan". They had argued that Haqqani maligned Pakistan in the books he wrote, "which proves that he is a traitor".
The case had reminded the chief justice of Haqqani. "Why should we not issue him a notice to appear before the court so that he could face allegations in the Memogate scandal?"
Haqqani was implicated in the Memogate case when he allegedly had a memo delivered to Admiral Mike Mullen through Mansoor Ijaz.
In 2012, a judicial commission tasked with probing the matter had submitted its report to the apex court, holding Haqqani guilty of authoring the controversial memorandum and adding that the former USA envoy "was not loyal to the country".