A man suffered leg injuries Monday after he was attacked by a shark off Australia's southwestern coast, forcing authorities to shut down a nearby worldwide surfing competition.
St John Ambulance Western Australia said the injured surfer, aged in his 30s, was "conscious and breathing and being treated for leg injuries".
Opposition Leader Mike Nahan said the attack would make worldwide news given the Margaret River Pro event was on nearby. An ambulance and helicopter rescue team were sent to the scene.
Although it has not been confirmed what kind of shark is believed to have attacked the man, earlier this morning Surf Life Saving Western Australia reported several sightings in the area, including a four-metre Great White.
The man is expected to be taken to Royal Perth Hospital.
"There was a lot more thrashing around".
He said paramedics on the ground reported that first aid from the man's friends was crucial in the moments after the attack, as they used a leg rope to stem blood flow. After that it was hard to see what was going on.
"They got him to shore and started working on him to stem the bleeding".
"I$3 saw the guy who had been attacked get separated from the [surf] board and then start to paddle for an inside wave, which he managed to body surf all the way in".
The Margaret River Pro worldwide surfing competition which is taking place nearby has been put on hold while organisers wait for information from local authorities.
"The safety of our surfers and staff is a top priority for the WSL".
Mick Fanning was about to fight for a World Surf competition circuit victory in South Africa, when the battle turned to one for his life.
It comes after Hawaiian two-time surfing world champion John John Florence and his brother had a close encounter with two large sharks last week and posted drone footage on social media.