Suspected Toronto serial killer charged with 8th murder

Postado Abril 16, 2018

Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur now faces an eighth murder charge.

To date, the remains of Majeed Kayhan have never been identified.

Investigators released the photograph of the man on March 5 and asked for the public's help in identifying him. After receiving assistance from an unnamed global government agency, Idsinga said police were able to identify the victim.

Police received more than 500 tips after releasing the photo and whittled the list of potential identities down to 70 potential names last Wednesday. The identification of Kanagaratnam was confirmed with assistance from an worldwide government agency, Idsinga said.

Most of the victims went missing from or had ties to the city's gay village.

The 66-year-old former landscaper is accused of killing Kirushna Kumar Kanagaratnam between Sept 3, 2015 and December 14, 2015.

The 66-year-old landscaper is now facing seven first-degree murder charges for allegedly killing Andrew Kinsman, 49; Selim Esen, 44; Majeed Kayhan, 59; Soroush Mahmudi, 50; Dean Lisowick, 47; Skandaraj "Skanda" Navaratnam, 40, and Abdulbasir Faizi, 42.

McArthur, 66, was first arrested in January on murder charges. In February, he was charged in the death of Skandaraj Navaratnam. Later that month, McArthur was charged with the murders of Majeed Kayhan, Soroush Mahmudi, and Dean Lisowick.

Little more than one month after releasing a digitally altered photo of the victim, police identified the man as Kirushna Kumar Kanagaratnam.

The sprawling police investigation, which Idsinga has previously described as unprecedented in size and scope, is now also scrutinizing 15 unsolved homicides that took place between 1975 and 1997.

Police will update their investigation at 10:30 a.m. on Monday.