Cuba says it can't uncover cause of 'sonic attacks' on US diplomats

Postado Junho 11, 2018

Cuban authorities on Sunday said they remained baffled by a mystery ailment that has afflicted numerous USA diplomats on the island, with the latest case reported last month.

The Havana home of U.S. diplomat who heard "undefined sounds" has been investigated by Cuban authorities in the latest of a string of freakish incidents in Cuba.

The Cuban government addresses what could possibly be one of the latest weird health incidents involving US embassy staff.

Cuba said on Sunday it remained baffled by health issues affecting U.S. diplomats, after the U.S. State Department reported two Cuba-based functionaries had symptoms similar to previous cases that began in late 2016.

More than 20 US officials posted in Havana have suffered injuries consistent with brain injury, which the US State Department has said could have been the result of a "health attack", from an unidentified secret weapon, possibly an acoustic or microwave device. There was no immediate explanation of why the Cuban statement only referred to one official.

The individuals in the "potentially new cases" of a mystery illness that has plagued embassy employees have undergone medical evaluations and were not yet "medically confirmed", the official said. Two other officials said the individuals have been brought for testing to the University of Pennsylvania, where doctors have been evaluating, treating and studying Americans affected in Cuba previous year as well as nearly 10 new possible cases from a U.S. consulate in China.

The officials weren't authorised to comment publicly and requested anonymity.

If confirmed by doctors to have the same condition, the two individuals would be the 25th and 26th confirmed patients from the weird incidents in Cuba that were first disclosed a year ago and have been deemed "specific attacks" by the U.S. government. The United States has said it doesn't know who is behind it, but has argued that Cuba is responsible for protecting all diplomats on its soil. Cuba has denied any involvement in or knowledge of what may have caused the injuries. They were not granted access to the official, Cuba said.

The statement said Cuba reaffirmed its desire to "cooperate with the USA authorities to clarify the situation".

The US has being issuing health alerts to Americans in China after a worker at the US consulate in Guangzhou reported symptoms and odd sounds and was flown to the US.

The Cuban response comes after the USA withdrew two more people from the U.S. embassy in Havana, Cuba, due to health concerns, according to a senior State Department official.