One year after Charlottesville rally, Trump says he condemns all racism

Postado Agosto 11, 2018

Last December, "Unite the Right" organizer Jason Kessler applied for a permit in Charlottesville for the one-year mark, but the city denied his request, which led to a lawsuit that he eventually dropped.

Trump's tweet Saturday, his first public mention of the anniversary, did not label the event as a white supremacist rally or specify that it was a white rallygoer who rammed his vehicle into a crowd of counterprotesters, killing one.

A state of emergency has been declared in Charlottesville as the city prepares for events surrounding the anniversary of the Unite the Right rally.

Charlottesville's interim City Manager Mike Murphy said many lessons were learned from last year's tragic events.

During last year's rally on August 12, 32-year-old Heather Heyer was killed as a vehicle plowed into a crowd.

Two Virginia State Police troopers also died when their helicopter crashed as they policed the event.

She said that she's worked with Black Lives Matter activists and has expanded her activism to include racial justice.

Resources from the Virginia Department of Emergency Management, Virginia State Police, Virginia Department of Health and Virginia National Guard will be present in Charlottesville over the weekend.

'Virginia continues to mourn the three Virginians who lost their lives in the course of the demonstrations a year ago.

Officials said the declaration would streamline state and local operations this weekend while also allocating $2 million in state funds.

Kessler has been promoting this year's event on various social media platforms and blames the city of Charlottesville for violence during last year's rally, when armed neo-Nazis descended on the normally tranquil southern town.

Some of the widely varied counterprotest groups are launching their efforts with interfaith events and speakers at Freedom Plaza, which is along Pennsylvania Avenue on the other side of the White House from the white nationalists' planned march route.

It allows for up to 400 participants, who say they plan to protest "civil rights abuse in Charlottesville, VA/white civil rights rally". This also from the president who said that 'Mexicans are bringing crime, they're bringing guns, they're rapists, some I assume are good people.

"I will not serve anyone who has any kind of hate in their heart or obvious hate on this weekend or ever", Chef Brian Hill said.

The march will start at a Metro station near the Capitol at 5pm and end with a demonstration in Lafayette Square Park that sits directly opposite from the White House.

Meanwhile, Alan Popovsky, who owns several restaurants with president themes in D.C., said he plans to serve Sunday brunch at his restaurant, Lincoln, and then close for dinner, after his staff said they were anxious about their safety. The violence reached its peak at 1:42 p.m. when James Alex Fields rammed his auto into a crowd of counterprotesters.

Park Police will also be on hand and the National Park Service said any approved groups will be sectioned off to different areas of the park.