An apparent ISIS attack against a public protest in the Nangarhar Province has killed at least 32 civilians and wounded 128 others.
"Around four hundred people gathered for the protest and the bomber detonated his vest full of explosive among the crowd", said Capt. Qais Saifi, an official at Nangarhar province police headquarters.
Stanikzai said locals had gathered to complain about a local police commander and the suicide bomber targeted them.
Afghanistan's parliamentary elections are due in October this year. The Taliban issued a statement denying involvement.
In early September, at least 20 people, including two journalists came on the scene, had been killed in a double bombing claimed by the EI for the shi'a community of the capital.
In all three blasts, the attackers targeted schools for girls, said provincial council member Zabihullah Zmarai.
The death toll from Tuesday's blast soared overnight. The protest was held in Mohmand Dara district near Jalalabad-Torkham Highway. "It was followed by two explosions in Behsud district, also near two schools".
"These are the final figures and the number of casualties increased after we collected the data from all hospitals in Jalalabad city and hospitals in districts particularly in areas near to the site of the blasts", provincial governor's spokesperson Attaullah Khogyanai told Efe news.
People transfer an injured man to a local hospital after a suicide attack in Jalalabad, the capital of Nangahar province, Afghanistan, Sept. 11, 2018.
In addition, two air strikes were carried out in Baghlan, another northern province on Tuesday, following six the day before and US advisers were on the ground supporting Afghan troops, the spokesman added.
High-intensity, explosion, claimed by the taliban, had literally shaken the city, which shattered the glass around in a district, however, assumed to be well-kept, which houses many official buildings or sensitive, including embassies.