In the wake of a booster failure that forced a Russian Soyuz spacecraft to make an emergency landing last week, astronauts aboard the International Space Station (ISS) were anxious whether their space launch would be cancelled.
As a result of this, the three astronauts now on the ISS - Alexander Gerst from ESA, Serena Auñón-Chancellor from NASA and Sergey Prokopyev from Roscosmos - are stranded on the station.
Ovchinin and American astronaut Nick Hague had to abort their mission on October 11 after the Soyuz rocket supposed to carry them to the International Space Station failed.
They flew to the orbit taking Russia's Soyuz MS-09 spacecraft that blasted off on June 6 and they are scheduled to stay on board the space station for 187 days.
Ovchinin and Hague safely returned to Earth in a jettisoned escape capsule.
The director of Russia's space agency Roscosmos told reporters in Moscow that contact had occurred between the strap-on booster and the rocket carrying two astronauts but that it was too early for final conclusions.
A Russian space agency official said on Friday that Russia still planned to go ahead as planned with its next manned flight to the ISS in December despite a rocket failure this week.
The next manned flight of a Soyuz rocket to the International Space Station (ISS) could take place on November 28, Interfax news agency quoted a Russian space industry source on Saturday as saying. All manned launches from Baikonur Cosmodrome have been suspended until the commission reveals the causes of the failure.
Russia's Soyuz spacecraft is now the only vehicle for spaceflights between the ISS and the Earth.