Premier Doug Ford speaks during question period, with Finance Minister Vic Fedeli seated to his left and Health Minister Christine Elliott seated to his right, at the legislature on September 12, 2018. Elliott also said the documents were non-partisan public service documents that she had never seen.
Earlier, Horwath said the documents reveal a plan to create a health "super agency" and include references to cabinet approving the plan and appointing board members.
"It's a done deal", Horwath said.
A source tells Global News the government believes an Ontario public service employee's email was hacked and the information was "illegally obtained". "Because people won't like it".
NDP Leader Andrea Horwath is just fearmongering in order to fundraise, Elliott said, pointing out an NDP web post about the documents that leads to a plea for cash.
"As many of you may be aware, there have been media reports regarding the unauthorized disclosure of confidential government documents", Stephen Davidson, Interim Secretary of the Cabinet, wrote.
Elliott did not rule out further private delivery of health care within the public system - such as companies that do diagnostic testing - but says that isn't the focus of the health-care transformation. "That super agency will quote 'partner with public and private sector entities'".
In the documents obtained by the NDP, Ford's plan outlines a new type of organization, called MyCare Groups, to oversee the delivery of a number of frontline health care services that are now under the umbrella of the LHINs.
The extremely detailed material outlines a system administered by a super agency overseeing 30 to 50 regional "MyCare" groups.
Elliott has been trying to pour cold water on the idea of health privatization since last week's release of the draft legislation, but Horwath said Monday that the new documents show there will indeed be a greater role for the private sector.
"Unfortunately, due to the importance of cabinet confidentiality, we are unable to confirm what has gone through the cabinet process", Elliott said in a statement. "As we bring forward desperately needed and overdue change to health-care in this province, Ontarians will continue to access reliable, public health-care".
The Ontario government's transformation of the health-care system will not include two-tier care, private hospitals or making patients pay for more services out of pocket, the health minister said Friday.
The NDP received all the documents last week, but only released the draft legislation last week and held onto the internal government documents over the weekend.
"We do not have anything else to share with you on this subject, and who knows, we all know how this works, today is today, tomorrow is tomorrow and next week is next week".